This week we focus on the Arctic because of its significance in models.
Step 1: Read the following articles.
- Chapter 11: Arctic Changes and their Effects on Alaska and the Rest of the United States
- Chapter 28: Polar Regions
Step 2: Consider how the element of climate change you chose to read about impacts a place of interest to you, then write a small vignette (200-400 words). You should focus on why that place is vulnerable and what is being done about it. Your vignette should include answers to the following questions:
- What is the threat?
- Why is that place/regional vulnerable?
- What are the forecasts in terms of environmental change?
- What are the forecasted impacts on communities?
- What are the solutions? (If applicable)?
- Step 3: Using screencast-o-(link is external)matic(link is external), record your voice reading your vignette.
Step 4. Place your video clip at the relevant place in Google Earth by attaching it to a Pin (VIDEO TO COME SHORTLY!) and save as a kmz file.
|Assessment Criteria||Excellent||Above Average||Average (Acceptable)||Below Average||Unacceptable|
|Script discusses key concepts relevant to each of the six stages||5||4||3||2||1|
|Concepts are explored in detail||5||4||3||2||1|
|Script is place-based||5||4||3||2||1|
|Script is well-written||5||4||3||2||1|
|Script contains references||5||4||3||2||1|
|kmz file functions and tour is audible||10||8||6||4||2|
For any Module, if you cannot find a topic relevant to the material, you can find more regional summaries of impacts from the following regions, at the base of the IPCC Impacts page. Please feel free to find relevant material in the following:
22. Africa - 4.9MB
23. Europe - 13.1MB
24. Asia - 3.0MB
25. Australasia - 5.2MB
26. North America - 4.2MB
27. Central and South America - 4.4MB
28. Polar Regions - 7.1MB
29. Small Islands - 3.8MB
30. The Ocean - 20.1MB