Activity 2: The "Habitable Zone" Discussion Experience
During the next week, prepare a 250-word or so discussion posting for each of these 3 topic questions in the lesson introductions.
- What are the essential elements of a “habitable zone” for life and why is each important?
- From where could Earth’s water have originated and what is the evidence in support of the origin(s)?
- Why are there oceans on Earth and not now on Mars or Venus?
Your posting should provide a sense of the significance of and controversy surrounding each of the questions and evidence for or against key hypotheses. Your posting should be written for a non-scientist but communicate the flavor of debate, type of evidence and how it is used, etc.
Submitting your work
- Enter the "Lesson 1, Activity 2" discussion forum in Canvas.
- Post your discussion on the 3 questions outlined in the introductory material and covered in readings.
- Read the postings by other EARTH 540 students
- Respond to at least one other posting by asking for clarification, asking a follow-up question, expanding on what has already been said, etc.
You will be graded on the quality of your participation. See the grading rubric for additional information.