EGEE 102 has the following graded requirements: Quizzes, Home Activities, Exams. Each of these is described below.
- Online Students: There will be a total of 10 online quizzes, one for each lesson. These quizzes are based on the material covered in each lesson. You will take these timed quizzes after completing each lesson. The quizzes will be scored and will count toward your grade. Two lowest scores will be dropped in calculating the final grade.
- In-class Students: There will be 6 online quizzes through the course of the semester. These quizzes are based on the material covered in each lesson. Check Angel for actual dates. The quizzes will be scored and will count toward your grade. One lowest score will be dropped in calculating the final grade.
- You will only have ONE opportunity to take each timed quiz before the deadline (see the Calendar tab for due dates). Once the quiz is started you cannot save and finish later. You must finish and submit the quiz before the deadline - not just start before the deadline. You will receive feedback for each quiz that you take. This feedback will be available only after the end of the participation deadline for a given quiz.
- No make up quizzes will be given under any circumstances (including sickness, family emergencies, computer/Internet or accidental clicks on wrong buttons). For these kind of reasons, quiz scores are dropped.
Home Activities (25%)
- You will be asked to complete six "Home Activities" during this semester. The best five scores (out of the possible 6) will be used to calculate your grade. You cannot make up Home Activities if you missed any.
- Home Activities are simulations that are interactive and help you apply concepts from the online lessons to a real world environment.
- Each simulation is to be completed individually.
- The Home Activity assignments in the course are:
- Home Activity 1: Residential Energy Conservation
- Home Activity 2: Energy Usage Analysis
- Home Activity 3: Appliances
- Home Activity 4: Lighting
- Home Activity 5: Insulation
- Home Activity 6: Insulation and Energy Conservation
- There are three midterm exams (30%, but only your best 2 scores will count toward your grade; each worth 15%). You will receive feedback for each exam that you take. This feedback will be available only after the end of the participation deadline for a given exam.
- A comprehensive final exam (25%) is required for everyone and consists of all multiple choice questions. Questions will be from the practice questions (StudyMate) and/or previous exams.
- UNIVERSITY PARK STUDENTS: You will take the exam face-to-face on campus at E-testing Center. You will have to sign up for the time and date a week before the exam date. Please refer to the Calendar tab for specific date. You will receive an e-mail from E-testing Center about a week before the exam. For Final Exam you do not pick the date. University Registrar will publish the date and time. Do not make plans to leave campus before that date. No requests will be entertained to take Final Exams at other times.
- For summer sessions, UP students also will complete all assessments online, like non-UP students.
- NON-UNIVERSITY PARK STUDENTS: You will take the exam online through ANGEL. NOTE: Exams will be available only 10 minutes before the actual exam start time. Please refer to the Calendar tab for specific date.
- For online summer sessions, all students are treated like NON-UNIVERSITY PARK Students. All exams are online.
University Policy 47-20 is followed for this course. Grades shall be assigned to individual students on the basis of the instructor's judgment of the student's scholastic achievement as set forth in Section 47-60. This specifically includes the instructor's judgment regarding an appropriate academic sanction for academic dishonesty defined in Section 49-20.
Your grade for the class will be evaluated based on the awareness of some basic facts about energy use, ability to articulate principles of energy conversion devices, analyze energy efficiency of various conversion devices, and perform basic quantitative analysis of economic and environmental analysis of energy conservation. Assessment is performed through exams, home activities, quizzes, and class participation.
The Course letter grades will be based on the following range.
|Letter Grade||Cumulative Percentages|
|A||> 93 %|
|A-||> 90% and < 93%|
|B+||> 86% and < 90%|
|B||> 81% and < 86%|
|B-||> 75% and < 81%|
|C+||> 68% and < 75%|
|C||>60% and < 68%|
|D||> 52% and < 60%|
|F||< 52 %|
|X||Unsatisfactory (student did not participate)|