Ways to Protect the Environment
Listed below are several changes you can make at home that help keep the environment healthy
- Some products that you use at your home or office are made with smog forming-chemicals that can evaporate into the air when you use them. Follow manufacturers’ recommendations for use and properly seal containers, paints, and other chemicals to prevent evaporation into the air.
- Use environmentally safe paints and cleaning products whenever possible.
- Refuel cars and trucks after dusk. During the day time, the vapors produce VOCs that produce ozone and smog.
- Follow gasoline refueling instructions for efficient vapor recovery. Be careful not to spill fuel and always tighten your gas cap securely.
- Be sure tires are properly inflated. Improper inflation can reduce gas mileage.
- Conserve electricity and set your air conditioner at a higher temperature.
- Deter use of gasoline-powered lawn and garden equipment.
- Choose a cleaner commute - carpool, use public transportation, bike, or walk whenever possible.
- Limit engine idling. Stop engine if you have to idle more than a minute.
- Combine errands and reduce trips.
- Keep car, boat, and other engines tuned up according to manufacturers’ specification.