PLEASE NOTE that this course has not been updated for the Fall 2018 semester. The content may change prior to the beginning of the semester.
Overview of Lesson 7
With this lesson, we continue our survey of energy industries based on energy sources. In this lesson, we will review the natural gas industry--including exploration and extraction, transportation, resource estimates, demand and, usage and externalities.
What will we learn?
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to...
- describe sources of natural gas;
- provide a simple explanation of seismology and its role in resource exploration;
- understand and use concepts and terminology related to on- and off-shore natural gas extraction;
- describe major components of the US natural gas pipeline system;
- explain benefits and uses of liquefied natural gas (LNG);
- discern qualifiers in resource allocations, and report on current estimates;
- weigh the relative advantages and externalities of hydraulic fracturing;
- about methane leakage and related considerations.
What is due for Lesson 7?
The table below provides an overview of the requirements for Lesson 7. For details, please see individual assignments.
Please refer to the Calendar in Canvas for specific time frames and due dates.
SUBMITTING YOUR WORK
|Read Lesson 7 content and any additional assigned material||Not submitted.|
|Weekly Activity 7||Yes—Complete Activity located in the Modules Tab in Canvas.|
|Case Study--work with others on your Team to prepare Case Study, following course guidelines||Check Canvas calendar for all Case Study Due Dates.|