Before we begin our semester of study together, it is important that you review all of the material on the course orientation pages and on our course syllabus. These resources will introduce you to the scope of this course and will help you to properly plan your activities. Familiarizing yourself in advance with the learning environment and web tools used for the course delivery will help you to be more efficient with assigned tasks. So let us start!
Have you looked at the syllabus?
This course orientation will complement and expand on the information provided on our syllabus. Be sure to review that document! Click on the "Syllabus" tab on the top menu to access it.
What will we learn about in the Orientation?
- The structure of EME 812
- Canvas environment, Penn State's course management system
- Technical requirements for EME 812
- How to succeed in this course
- Where to get course assistance if you need it
What is due for the Orientation?
The following is an overview of those activities that must be completed for Course Orientation. Detailed directions and submission instructions are located on the following pages of this orientation.
(You may want to print this page and use it as a checklist as you go along.)
- Access the course in Canvas
- Personalize your Canvas space and set up your email in Canvas.
- Register with the University Libraries.
- Check your access to the course reading content through Canvas modules and this website.
- Complete the course survey.
- Introduce yourself and meet the rest of the class.
If you have any questions, please post them to our Questions? discussion forum, located under Discussions tab in Canvas. You can use that space to chat about course topics or to ask questions. While you are there, feel free to post your own responses if you are able to help out a classmate. I will also periodically check the forums and answer questions.
Use the menu on the right-hand side to navigate through the Orientation. On the following pages, you will find important information about the course format, requirements, scheduling, and technical requirements and assistance—all of which you'll need to know in order to work effectively on the course. Remember, you are also responsible for learning the information on our course syllabus.