This week, we have learned about how agriculture has transformed in the twentieth century. We have more food than ever before, but we also have more waste, and the costs and benefits are complicated to trace. We have seen how important it is to trace each stage in the production of food - from designing the crop seeds to assessing our food waste - in order to identify costs and benefits for social equity, for the economy, and for the environment.
Keep in mind the objectives for this week:
- Analyze the social, economic, and environmental impacts of agricultural change in the twentieth century.
- Interpret the social and economic conditions that encourage or hinder transitions in farming systems.
- Name the stages of industrial corn production and explain the impacts of this chain on food systems and human health.
- Explain the causes and consequences of food waste and discuss some possible solutions for reducing waste.
- Take Quiz Week 5 by Tuesday at 11:59 pm Eastern Time.
- Submit your week 5 Questions and Reactions by Tuesday at 11:59 pm Eastern Time.
- Make sure to respond to at least 2 of your classmates' Q&R posts by Thursday at 11:59 pm Eastern Time.
- Start working on your Current Event Essay 2 (it's due Thursday of Week 6).
All assignments will be submitted in Canvas, check the calendar in Canvas for specific due dates.
Well done! Now on to Week 6!