Updated Aug. 2015
Downloading and Installing ArcGIS for Desktop 10.x Student 1-year Trial
Activate the Authorization Number we have given you here:
If you do not have an Esri Global Account, you will be prompted to create one.
Once you activate your Authorization Number, instructions will be e-mailed to you. See below for what the e-mail looks like.
After you activate your Authorization Number, the website will take you to a page where you will be prompted to enter the Authorization Number we have given you. Then you will be prompted to select a Version of the ArcGIS for Desktop software. Select ArcGIS 10.x for Desktop unless your instructor tells you otherwise.
Continue to follow the instructions in the e-mail sent to you. If you want to see an expanded list of steps, follow the online resources link at the bottom of the Esri e-mail – disregard references made to a 60-day trial version.
The following is a list of tips and caveats regarding the installation process.
- It may take up to an hour to download the software installation file. It will take several minutes to install the software. Plan accordingly.
- When you install, you will need Administrator level privileges.
- To check to see if you have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed, do this: Click Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | Turn Windows Features on or off. If you need to install it, follow this link (or go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22).
- Even though the installation process may include an uninstall of the older version that is already on your machine, it is probably best if you make a point of uninstalling the old version first, before installing the new version.
- Install the Complete package, when prompted.
If you have any problems please contact Beth King (email@example.com). Beth is on our faculty and is also our program point of contact with the Esri support center.
Here is the e-mail that Esri will send to you:
Please follow the steps below to download and install ArcGIS 10.x for Desktop.
- If you do not currently have an earlier version of ArcGIS installed on your machine, proceed to step 2.
If you have ArcGIS version 10.1 or later installed, you do not need to uninstall it before installing version 10.x; the ArcGIS setup package will detect and upgrade your ArcGIS for Desktop software. If you have ArcGIS version 10.0 or earlier installed, please uninstall it using the Uninstall Utility (download below) before installing ArcGIS 10.x.
- Download ArcGIS for Desktop, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, and the other files you would like to install. Please note that ArcGIS Data Interoperability, ArcGIS Data Reviewer, and ArcGIS Workflow Manager require ArcGIS for Desktop.
- When downloading with the Esri Download Manager, you can select and download multiple products. However, only one product should be launched at a time when the downloads are complete.
- Make sure you have write access to your download directory location as well as your ArcGIS installation directory location, and that no one is accessing it.
- Install the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 below.
- Install and authorize ArcGIS for Desktop
- Select a destination folder to extract the install files to. If you choose, you can automatically launch the setup after the files have been extracted
- When prompted, select ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced Single Use.
- When prompted, accept the default, I do not wish to authorize any extensions at this time. The extensions will be authorized automatically.
- Enter your authorization number: EVAxxxxxxxxx.
Please save this e-mail for future reference.
The ArcGIS Team