About This Lesson
In this lesson, we'll learn about what policy is, how it is used, and the different types of policy that exist to address a variety of issues. Specifically, we'll investigate the role of policy in environmental issues. As we think about the different types of policy out there, think of them as mechanisms. Different types of policy achieve different goals. Depending on what your goals are in enacting a particular policy, you will select the appropriate mechanisms by which to achieve it.
By the end of this Lesson, you should:
- understand the concept of policy, specifically how it relates to energy;
- understand the different scales at which policies exist, and public vs. private policy;
- appreciate the possibility of intended and unintended consequences of policy decisions;
- understand the interactions between policies, regulations, and initiatives;
- know the difference between reactive and proactive policy.
What is due for this lesson?
This lesson will take us one week to complete. Please refer to the Calendar in Canvas for specific time frames and due dates. Specific directions for the assignment below can be found within this lesson.
Complete the following Lesson Requirements:
If you have questions, please feel free to post them to the "Have a question about this lesson" discussion forum. While you are there, feel free to post your own responses if you, too, are able to help a classmate.