What will we learn?
By the end of Lesson 3, you should be able to:
- describe the process of geocoding and discuss some of the more common types of geocoding which are used;
- discuss the purpose and characteristics of an address locator;
- create an address locator using TIGER/Line shapefiles and use it to geocode a list of addresses;
- discuss conflation as it applies to GIS-T and use some of the tools in ArcMap to assist in conflation activities;
- define the process of conflation as it applies to roadway data and identify some situations where conflation would be performed;
- list the key functions of an MPO and RPO;
- describe the transportation plans which are created and maintained by MPOs, RPOs, and state Departments of Transportation (DOT).