What will we learn?
By the end of Lesson 3, you should be able to:
- describe the process of geocoding and discuss some of the more common types of geocoding which are used;
- discuss the purpose and characteristics of an address locator;
- create an address locator using TIGER/Line shapefiles and use it to geocode a list of addresses;
- list the key functions of an MPO and RPO;
- describe the transportation plans which are created and maintained by MPOs, RPOs, and state DOTs;
- list some key functions and features of MPMS-IQ;
- share something you learned about one of your classmates and/or a few ideas you discussed with a classmate about the content of this week’s lesson.
Lesson 3 will take 1 week to complete. Please refer to Canvas for specific time frames, submission instructions, and due dates.
To finish this lesson, you must complete the assignments listed below by the end of this lesson week. The details for each assignment are provided in the referenced section.
|Assignment No.||Assignment Description||Section||Grade Component / Points|
|3-1||Read about three distinct types of geocoding and answer some questions.||3.1||Lesson Topic / 15|
|3-2||Use TIGER/Line Shapefiles to create an address locator and geocode a set of addresses.||3.1||Lesson Topic / 20|
|3-3||Explore an MPO or RPO and summarize what you learned.||3.2||Transportation Organizations / 15|
|3-4||Participate in a one-on-one video conference with a classmate as per the schedule which was provided to you in Week 1 and prepare a summary of the conversation.||3.3||Class Participation / 15|
|3-5||Participate in this week’s webinar and submit a summary of what you learned.||3.5||Guest Webinar / 15|
|3-6||Learn about long-range and short-range transportation plans, explore some project visualization applications and answer some questions.||3.6||Guest Webinar / 10|
|3-7||Submit 3 – 5 questions for next week’s speaker.||3.6||Guest Webinar / 5|