What will we learn?
By the end of Lesson 3, you should be able to:
- describe the process of geocoding and discuss some of the more common types of geocoding which are used;
- discuss the purpose and characteristics of an address locator;
- create an address locator using TIGER/Line shapefiles and use it to geocode a list of addresses;
- discuss conflation as it applies to GIS-T and use some of the tools in ArcMap to assist in conflation activities;
- define the process of conflation as it applies to roadway data and identify some situations where conflation would be performed;
- list the key functions of an MPO and RPO;
- describe the transportation plans which are created and maintained by MPOs, RPOs, and state Departments of Transportation (DOT).
Lesson 3 will take 1 week to complete. Please refer to Canvas for specific time frames, submission instructions, and due dates.
To finish this lesson, you must complete the assignments listed below by the end of this lesson week. The details for each assignment are provided in the referenced section.
|Assignment No.||Assignment Description||Section||Grade Component / Points|
|3-1||Learn about the different types of geocoding and create an address locator using TIGER/Line data.||3.1||Lesson Topic / 20|
|3-2||Review some of the conflation tools available in ArcMap.||3.1||Lesson Topic / 15|
|3-3||Explore an MPO or RPO and summarize what you learned.||3.2||Transportation Organizations / 15|
|3-4||Participate in a One-on-One video conference with a classmate and submit a summary of the c.onversation.||3.3||Class Participation / 15|
|3-5||Participate in this week’s webinar and submit a summary of what you learned.||3.4||Guest Webinar / 15|
|3-6||Prepare for next week's webinar.||3.5||Guest Webinar / 10|