What will we learn?
By the end of Lesson 4, you should be able to:
- describe the importance of a transportation network;
- characterize the data elements which go into a street network and evaluate street data sources to determine their suitability in serving as the basis of a network dataset;
- create a network dataset from street data;
- list the key functions of the Federal Highways Administration (FHWA);
- describe the composition and purpose of the National Highway System (NHS);
- discuss FHWA’s Geospatial Data Collaboration (GDC) initiative; and
- talk about the importance of addressing environmental and community considerations early in the transportation planning process and provide some examples of how GIS can be used to facilitate this process.
Lesson 4 will take 1 week to complete. Please refer to Canvas for specific timeframes, submission instructions, and due dates.
To finish this lesson, you must complete the assignments listed below. The details for each assignment are provided in the referenced section and in Canvas.
|Assignment No.||Assignment Description||Section||Grade Component / Points|
|4-1||Watch a webinar on creating a network dataset in ArcGIS and answer some questions.||4.1||Lesson Topic / 15|
|4-2||Complete a tutorial to create a network dataset from street data.||4.1||Lesson Topic / 20|
|4-3||Learn about the FHWA and answer some questions about the NHS and GDC initiative.||4.2||Transportation Organizations / 15|
|4-4||Participate in this week's 1st webinar and submit a summary of what you learned.||4.3||Guest Webinar / 15|
|4-5||Participate in this week’s 2nd webinar and submit a summary of what you learned.||4.4||Guest Webinar / 15|
|4-6||Review the background material for next week’s 1st speaker and respond to some questions.||4.5||Guest Webinar / 10|
|4-7||Review the background material for next week’s 2nd speaker and respond to some questions.||4.5||Guest Webinar / 10|