What will we learn?
By the end of Lesson 5, you should be able to:
- list the common types of problems that network analysis can be used to solve;
- use ESRI’s Network Analyst extension to perform a variety of network analyses;
- list some of the key functions state DOTs serve and discuss how their roles have changed over time;
- provide an example of how spatial technologies are used within a specific state DOT;
- discuss the nature of a Linear Referencing Systems (LRS) and dynamic segmentation and explain why these techniques are important in managing the geometry and diverse set of attribute information associated with transportation networks;
- share something you learned about one of your classmates and/or some ideas you discussed with a classmate about the content of this week’s lesson.
Lesson 5 will take 1 week to complete. Please refer to Canvas for specific timeframes, submission instructions, and due dates.
To finish this lesson, you must complete the assignments listed below. The details for each assignment are provided in the referenced section and in Canvas.
|Assignment No.||Assignment Description||Section||Grade Component / Points|
|5-1||Watch a webinar on using Network Analyst to perform network analysis in ArcGIS and answer some questions.||5.1||Lesson Topic / 15|
|5-2||Complete Exercises 3 and 5 from ESRI’s Network Analyst tutorial and answer some questions.||5.1||Lesson Topic / 20|
|5-3||Explore a state DOT and address some specific questions.||5.2||Transportation Organizations / 15|
|5-4||Participate in this week’s webinar and submit a summary of what you learned from the 1st speaker.||5.4||Guest Webinar / 15|
|5-5||Participate in this week’s webinar and submit a summary of what you learned from the 2nd speaker.||5.4||Guest Webinar / 15|
|5-6||Review the background material for next week’s 1st speaker and respond to some questions.||5.5||Guest Webinar / 10|
|5-7||Review the background material for next week’s 2nd speaker and respond to some questions.||5.5||Guest Webinar / 10|