What will we learn?
By the end of Lesson 6, you should be able to:
- use ArcMap’s Linear Referencing Tools to construct routes from roadway centerline features;
- calibrate the measures along a route based on actual measures made in the field;
- describe the purpose and characteristics of a Straight Line Diagram (SLD);
- create an SLD given event data along a route;
- discuss the key functions of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO);
- describe some of the crash data reporting and analysis practices used by state DOTs;
- share something you learned about one of your classmates and/or some ideas you discussed with a classmate about the content of this week’s lesson.
Lesson 6 will take 1 week to complete. Please refer to Canvas for specific timeframes, submission instructions, and due dates.
To finish this lesson, you must complete the assignments listed below. The details for each assignment are provided in the referenced section and in Canvas.
|Assignment No.||Assignment Description||Section||Grade Component / Points|
|6-1||Complete a tutorial on using ESRI’s Linear Referencing Toolbox.||6.1||Lesson Topic / 25|
|6-2||Create a Straight Line Diagrams (SLD) from event data.||6.1||Lesson Topic / 10|
|6-3||Explore AASHTO and summarize one of their areas of activity.||6.2||Transportation Organizations / 15|
|6-4||Participate in a 1-on-1 video conference with a classmate and submit a summary of the conversation.||6.3||Class Participation / 15|
|6-5||Participate in this week’s webinar and submit a summary of what you learned.||6.4||Guest Webinar / 15|
|6-6||Review the background material for next week’s webinar and respond to some questions.||6.5||Guest Webinar / 10|
|6-7||Submit 3 - 5 questions for next week’s speaker.||6.5||Guest Webinar / 5|