What will we learn?
By the end of Lesson 2, you should be able to:
- compare and contrast different sources of roadway data which are available;
- compare the ways Google and OSM enlist the help of volunteers to improve their roadway data;
- describe the characteristics of the TIGER/Line shapefiles and OSM data;
- discuss the use of Census data for transportation planning;
- explain the purpose of Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) and describe how it impacts transportation projects;
- list some details about your classmates based on your review of their video autobiographies.
Lesson 2 will take 1 week to complete. Please refer to Canvas for specific time frames, submission instructions, and due dates.
To finish this lesson, you must complete the assignments listed below by the end of this lesson week. The details for each assignment are provided in the referenced section.
|Assignment No.||Assignment Description||Section||Grade Component / Points|
|2-1||Evaluate Volunteer Contributions to Roadway Data.||2.1||Lesson Activity / 20|
|2-2||Examine TIGER/Line and OSM Data.||2.1||Lesson Activity / 15|
|2-3||Explore the Census Bureau and address some specific questions.||2.2||Transportation Organizations / 15|
|2-4||Review the autobiographies submitted by your classmates in Lesson 1 and post a response to each.||2.3||Class Participation / 20|
|2-5||Participate in a One-on-One video conference with a classmate and submit a summary of the conversation.||2.3||Class Participation / 15|
|2-6||Prepare for next week's webinar.||2.5||Guest Webinar / 10|