What will we learn?
By the end of Lesson 2, you should be able to:
- compare and contrast different sources of roadway data which are available;
- describe the some of the different formats through which the Census Bureau makes TIGER data available;
- discuss the use of Census data for transportation planning;
- explain the purpose of Section 106 of the NHPA and describe how it impacts transportation projects;
- list some details about your classmates based on your review of their video autobiographies.
Lesson 2 will take 1 week to complete. Please refer to Canvas for specific time frames, submission instructions, and due dates.
To finish this lesson, you must complete the assignments listed below by the end of this lesson week. The details for each assignment are provided in the referenced section.
|Assignment No.||Assignment Description||Section||Grade Component / Points|
|2-1||Contrast and compare Google’s map offerings with the Open Street Map project and answer some questions.||2.1||Lesson Activity / 20|
|2-2||Examine some of the different TIGER Line files the Census Bureau makes available.||2.1||Lesson Activity / 15|
|2-3||Explore the Census Bureau and address some specific questions.||2.2||Transportation Organizations / 15|
|2-4||Review the autobiographies submitted by your classmates in Lesson 1 and post a response to each.||2.3||Class Participation / 15|
|2-5||Participate in this week’s webinar and submit a summary of what you learned.||2.4||Guest Webinar / 15|
|2-6||Learn about the Section 106 process, explore a cultural resources GIS, and answer some questions.||2.5||Guest Webinar / 10|
|2-7||Submit 3 – 5 questions for next week’s speaker.||2.5||Guest Webinar / 5|