For this week's assignment, find two web maps "in the wild" and create a post on the "Lesson 2 assignment forum" on Canvas that describes the following for each map:
- The web address (URL) of the map and who created it.
- The basemap, thematic layers, and interactive elements in the map.
- The servers and display techniques used for each layer (tiles, image drawn by the server on the fly, browser-drawn vector graphics, etc.). Use your web browser's developer tools/plugins to figure this out. For example, using the Network tab of the developer tools while you pan around the map, you might determine that your web map is pulling in a tiled basemap from CloudMade.com. This is enough for the assignment; you don't have to go into further technical details about how the tiles were made or their file structure.
- The software and programming framework used to build the web map (if you can determine this) and whether it is proprietary or FOSS.
- Suggestions on how the map administrator could make this map more useful or faster performing.
Please make an effort to find these maps on your own. In other words, do not choose any of the web maps previously referenced in this lesson, nor should you browse through other students' posts in order to find maps to analyze. Except for the first point (URL), please use short paragraphs to address the different points in your description similar to what you saw in this lesson, not just bullet point enumerations.