Assignment: Build an App of Your Own
This lesson's graded assignment is in two parts. Here are some instructions for completing the assignment.
First, I'd like you to build a web mapping app with Esri technology (using either a configurable template or the Web AppBuilder). You are welcome to select the app's subject matter (perhaps something from your work) and the functionality it provides. If you're unsure of what to map, you might try searching ArcGIS Online, where there is a wealth of data.
You will have another opportunity to select your own final project at the end of the term. Keep that in mind when selecting data and/or functionality to incorporate into this project.
There are other web mapping platforms that offer features similar to ArcGIS Online (CARTO, MapBox, SimpleMappr, MangoMap, uMap). For the second part of this week's assignment, I'd like you to experiment with one of these platforms, then share your thoughts on it in a recorded video. Here are some detailed instructions:
- Sign up for a platform. The sign-ups will be set up such that each platform will be covered by roughly the same number of students. (If there's another platform that you'd like to evaluate, check with the instructor first.)
- Limit your video to 5 minutes.
- In your video, be sure to discuss the following points:
- Ease of use
- Data formats supported
- How it compares to ArcGIS Online (similarities, differences, things you like better)
- Can you build an app or just a map? (I.e., Is it possible to add functionality similar to Esri's Web AppBuilder widgets?)
- What I'm looking for in this video is for you to talk through a demo of the platform. You may choose to summarize your major points through slides, though that's not required. You are not expected to have any face time in the video, though you certainly can if you like. There is a video assignment describing how to make the video using Kaltura within Canvas.
This project is one week in length. Please refer to the Canvas course Calendar for the due date.
- Post a link to your Esri app to the Lesson 1 Discussion Forum. (40 of 100 points)
- Post a link to your video review of a non-Esri web mapping platform to the Lesson 1 Discussion Forum (and/or Media Gallery in Canvas). This could be in the same or a different post as #1 above. (40 of 100 points)
- As part of your discussion forum post, include some reflection on what you learned from the lesson, how you might apply what you learned to your job, and/or concepts that you found to be confusing (minimum 200 words). (20 of 100 points)
- Complete the Lesson 1 quiz.