Lesson 09 will take us one week to complete. Please refer to the Calendar in Canvas for specific time frames and due dates. Specific directions for the assignments below can be found within this lesson.
Complete the following steps to complete Lesson 09:
- Work through Lesson 09 in this web site.
- Complete the Required Reading Assignments:
- Read the Foreword, Chapter 5, and Appendix A, and scan the rest of the material in "The Federal Response to Hurricane Katrina: Lessons Learned."
- Read the Executive Summary (6 pages) of "A Failure of Initiative" available at: katrinareport-execsummary. If you are interested, you can access to the individual sections of the full report.
- Read the Executive Summary and scan the rest of "From Challenge to Action."
- Read the following research paper from Donald F. Kettl of the Fels Institute of Government of the University of Pennsylvania entitled "The Worst is yet to Come: Lessons from September 11 and Hurricane Katrina."
- Read Dr. Cutter's essay on "The Geography of Social Vulnerability: Race, Class, and Catastrophe," and then examine the Understanding Katrina website and peruse any other essays that interest you.
- Read the Executive Summary and scan the rest of "In the Wake of the Storm: Environment, Disaster, and Race after Katrina."
- Read Shawna Wolin's article "Partnerships: FEMA Looks to NGA for Disaster Help" (page 29-30) in the July-August 2006 issue in the NGA Pathfinder magazine.
- Read the ASPRS report "Results and Recommendations on the Role of Airborne and Commercial Satellite Imagery in Emergency Response".
- Read "The Red Pill" by Kathleen Tierney.
- Read the September-October 2005 issue of the NGA Pathfinder magazine. The issue title is "NGA Makes the Difference: Hurricanes and Technology Challenges."
- Watch Frontline's "The Storm" and watch the entire video.
- Participate in "Lesson 09 - GRADED Discussion Forum (#3)"