New to GEOG 884?
Registered students should begin with the Course Orientation. (The Lesson menu will be available one week prior to the first day of class.)
Students who register for this Penn State course gain access to assignments and instructor feedback, and earn academic credit. Information about Penn State's Online Geospatial Education programs is available at the Geospatial Education Program Office.
Quick Facts about GEOG 884
- Instructor - Kevin Stofan
- Overview - This course will introduce you to Geographic Information Systems for the Geospatial Intelligence Professional - Geospatial intelligence (GEOINT) leverages geographic information science and technology (including cartography, geographic information systems, remote sensing, and global positioning systems) with intelligence tradecraft to develop intelligence products that support national security, disaster response, and international relief efforts. GEOG 884 cultivates in students the knowledge of the capabilities and limitations of geographic information systems (GIS) and the skills needed to realize their potential in the context of the geospatial intelligence tradecraft.
- Learning Environment - This Web site provides the primary instructional materials for the course. The Resources menu links to important supporting materials, while the Lessons menu links to the course lessons. In addition, Canvas, Penn State's course management system, is used to support the delivery of this course, as well, as it provides the primary communications, calendaring, and submission tools for the course.
- Topics of Study - There are 10 lessons that will be completed, and a course project. Lesson learning activities are in the form of background reading and discussion that outline a current scientific problem or debate, the collection and manipulation of appropriate data, and the assessment of the results of this work. By doing this, students will simultaneously become familiar with the content as well as the practice of science. During the final lessons, Students will complete a capstone project in which they perform a GIS analysis based on the topic of their choice.
- Orientation - Pre-instructional Activities
- Lesson 1 - GIS and GEOINT
- Lesson 2 - Vector Data Models
- Lesson 3 - Raster Data Models
- Lesson 4 - Map Projections and Coordinate Systems
- Lesson 5 - Vector Analysis
- Lesson 6 - Raster and Terrain Analysis
- Lesson 7 - Data Quality and Standards
- Lesson 8 - Advanced Spatial Analysis
- Lesson 9 - Recent Developments in GIS
- Lesson 10 - Capstone Project Week