At this point, you have completed the Course Orientation and the first lesson for METEO 469. Let's talk! Please participate in an online discussion of the course in general and of the material we have covered thus far. Please share your thoughts about the general topic of this course and what you hope to learn. Also, please discuss the material presented in Lesson 1.
This discussion will take place in a threaded discussion forum in Canvas (see the Canvas Guides for the specific information on how to use this tool) over approximately a week-long period of time. Since the class participants will be posting to the discussion forum at various points in time during the week, you will need to check the forum frequently in order to fully participate. You can also subscribe to the discussion and receive e-mail alerts each time there is a new post.
Please realize that a discussion is a group effort and make sure to participate early in order to give your classmates enough time to respond to your posts.
Post your comments addressing some aspect of the material that is of interest to you and respond to other postings by asking for clarification, asking a follow-up question, expanding on what has already been said, etc. For each new topic you are posting, please try to start a new discussion thread with a descriptive title, in order to make the conversation easier to follow.
The purpose of the discussion is to facilitate a free exchange of thoughts and opinions among the students, and you are encouraged to discuss any topic within the general discussion theme that is of interest to you. If you find it helpful, you may also use the topics suggested below.
General discussion of METEO 469
- Why are you taking this course?
- Why are you interested in climate change?
- Is it important to you to understand the scientific basis of climate science?
- Is it important to you to learn about impacts of climate change?
- What do you hope to learn in this course?
Lesson 1: Introduction to Climate and Climate Change
- In your understanding, what is the difference between the climate and the weather? Why is it important to differentiate between the two?
- Discuss natural v.s. anthropogenic climate change.
- What are feedback mechanisms in regards to the climate system? Can we know all feedback mechanisms in our climate system? Which mechanisms are considered most important and why?
- Discuss the concept of climate sensitivity. Why is this concept useful?
- Discuss the components of the carbon cycle and how carbon sources and sinks influence atmospheric CO2 levels.
Submitting your work
- Go to Canvas.
- Go to the Home tab.
- Click on Lesson 1 discussion: General Discussion of METEO 469.
- Post your comments and responses.
You will be graded on the quality of your participation. See the online discussion grading rubric for the specifics on how this assignment will be graded. Please note that you will not receive a passing grade on this assignment if you wait until the last day of the discussion to make your first post.