Please participate in an online discussion of the material presented in Lesson 11: Geoengineering.
This discussion will take place in a threaded discussion forum in Canvas (see the Canvas Guides for the specific information on how to use this tool) over approximately a week-long period of time. Since the class participants will be posting to the discussion forum at various points in time during the week, you will need to check the forum frequently in order to fully participate. You can also subscribe to the discussion and receive e-mail alerts each time there is a new post.
Please realize that a discussion is a group effort and make sure to participate early in order to give your classmates enough time to respond to your posts.
Post your comments addressing some aspect of the material that is of interest to you and respond to other postings by asking for clarification, asking a follow-up question, expanding on what has already been said, etc. For each new topic you are posting, please try to start a new discussion thread with a descriptive title, in order to make the conversation easier to follow.
- What is the purpose of geoengineering? Why the anthropogenic climate change does not qualify as geoengineering?
- Discuss one of the geoengineering approaches that have been proposed to address climate change. What are the potential benefits of this scheme? What are the potential risk? In your opinion, do the benefits out-way the risks?
- Do you think geoengineering is a viable option for dealing with climate change? Do you see any ethical problems with continuing business-as-usual emissions and offsetting the warming consequences with geoengineering strategies?
Submitting your work
- Go to Canvas.
- Go to the Home tab.
- Click on the Lesson 11 discussion: Geoengineering.
- Post your comments and responses.
You will be graded on the quality of your participation. See the online discussion grading rubric for the specifics on how this assignment will be graded. Please note that you will not receive a passing grade on this assignment if you wait until the last day of the discussion to make your first post.