This lesson introduces physical processes, including advection, diffusion, and dispersion processes, in 1D system. An example will be shown about how to set up a 1D flow and transport simulation in a homogeneous column in CrunchFlow.
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to:
- Understand the definition of advection, diffusion, and dispersion;
- Understand the 1D advection-dispersion equation (ADE);
- Understand the important parameters and the application of dimensionless numbers (Péclet number) in unifying different observations;
- Understand what controls the shape of tracer breakthrough curves;
- Simulate 1D flow and transport using CrunchFlow.
If you have any questions, please post them to our Questions? discussion forum (not e-mail), located in Canvas. The TA and I will check that discussion forum daily to respond. While you are there, feel free to post your own responses if you, too, are able to help out a classmate.