Our Newest Contributions
Taylor, A. (2017). Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivators that Attract and Retain Part-time Online Teaching Faculty at Penn State (published doctoral dissertation). The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania.
Smithwick, E., Baxter, E., Kim, K., Edel-Malizia, S., Rocco, S., & Blackstock, D. (2017). Interactive videos enhance learning about socio-ecological systems. Manuscript accepted for publication, Journal of Geography.
Kolanowski, A., Boltz, M., Galik, E., Gitlin, L., Kales, H., Resnick, B., Van Haitsma, K., Knehans, A., Sutterlin, J., Sefcik, J., Liu, W., Petrovsky, D., Massimo, L., Gilmore-Bykovskyi, A., MacAndrew, M., Brewster, G., Nalls, V., Jao, Y-L., Duffort, N., & Scerpella, D. (2017). Determinants of behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia: A scoping review of the evidence. Manuscript in press: corrected proof, Nursing Outlook.
Bacastow, T., Bellafiore, S., Coster, S., Handwerk, S., Spuria, L., Thomas, G., & Millet, A. (2017). From layers to objects: Evolving the GEOINT analytic tradecraft. 2017 State and Future Report, The United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation.
Bacastow, T., Handwerk, T, Bellafiore, D., Coster, S., Rosser, Tapee, & Long, E. (2017). Bringing transparency to transparency. 2016 State of GEOINT Report, The United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation.
Taylor, A. & Mandernach, J. (2016). Formative Evaluations for Online Education. In Grading Strategies for the Online College Classroom: A Collection of Articles for Faculty (pp. 104-106). Madison, WI: Magna Publications Incorporated.
Bacastow, T. & Long, E. (2016). Comparative geospatial intelligence professional communities. Manuscript accepted for publication, Conference Proceedings: International Association for Intelligence Education.
Henry, N., Lynn, V., Lysiak, L., & Sutterlin, J. E. (2016). A standardized self-paced nursing library course: Providing consistent instruction. Chicago: Association of College and Research Libraries.
Luo, H., Millet, A., Alley, R., & Zuo, M. (2016, July 19-21). Dealing with ethical issues in MOOC design and delivery: A case study. Blended learning: Aligning theory with practices 9th international conference, ICBL 2016. (S.K.S. Cheung, L. Kwok, J. Shang, et. al., Eds.) Bejing, China. Switzerland: Springer International. 128-138.
The following links lead to recent research projects, publications, and presentations that members of the Dutton Community have produced related to online teaching and learning.
Millet, A., H. Luo and R.B. Alley. 2015. Dealing with Bias, Disruption, Fairness, and Copyright Issues in MOOC Design and Delivery: A Case Study. In J. H. Corbeil, M. E. Corbeil, & B. H. Khan (Ed.), The MOOC Case Book: Case Studies in MOOC Design, Development and Implementation. Ronkonkoma, NY: Linus Books.
- Haines-Stiles, G., R.B. Alley and E. Akuginow. 2014. Reaching out beyond the usual suspects and traditional media: Re-branding climate change as a problem with a feasible solution. In J.L. Drake et al. (eds.), New Trends in Earth-Science Outreach and Engagement, Advances in Natural and Technological Hazards Research 38, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-01821-8_2, Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2014, p. 21-45.
Tobin, T., Mandernach, J., & Taylor, A. (2015). Evaluating Online Teaching: Adapting and Employing Best Practices. Jossey-Bass, an imprint of John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Alley, R.B. 2013. Watchable wildlife and demand-driven general education. Journal of General Education 62(1), 37-42.
- Luo, H., Robinson, A. C., & Park, J. Y. (2015, April). Scaling Up Peer Assessment Online: Empirical Evidence from a Coursera MOOC. Paper accepted for presentation at 2015 Annual Conference of American Educational Research Association (AERA). Chicago, Illinois, April 16-20, 2015.
- Park, J. Y., Kim, W. H., Luo, H., & Detwiler, J. (2015, April). Using Logistic Regression to Determine Factors Affecting the Completion of an Online GIS Master’s Program. Paper accepted for presentation at 2015 Annual Conference of American Educational Research Association (AERA). Chicago, Illinois, April 16-20, 2015.
- Luo, H., Robinson, A. C., & Park, J. Y. (2014). Peer Grading in a MOOC: Reliability, Validity, and Perceived Effects. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks, 18(2), 1-14. Available at http://jaln.sloanconsortium.org/index.php/jaln/article/viewFile/429/100
- Luo, H., Robinson, A.C., & Detwiler, J. (2014). Effect of Geographic Distance on Distance Education: An Empirical Study. Journal of Educators Online (JEO), 11(3), E5. Available at http://www.thejeo.com/Archives/Volume11Number3/LuoRobinsonDetwiler.pdf.M..., A., Luo, H., & Alley, R. B. (accepted for publication). Dealing with Bias, Disruption, Fairness, and Copyright Issues in MOOC Design and Delivery: A Case Study. In J. H. Corbeil, M. E. Corbeil, & B. H. Khan (Ed.), The MOOC Case Book: Case Studies in MOOC Design, Development and Implementation. Ronkonkoma, NY: Linus Books.
- Luo, H., Robinson, A.C., & Detwiler, J. (2014). Effect of Geographic Distance on Distance Education: An Empirical Study. Journal of Educators Online (JEO), 11(3), E5. Available at http://www.thejeo.com/Archives/Volume11Number3/LuoRobinsonDetwiler.pdf.
- Luo, H. (in press). Educational Technology Case Study Research. In M. Spector (Ed.), Sage Encyclopedia of Educational Technology. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publication.
- Luo, H., Rocco, S., Wong, S., Schaad, C., Brownson, J., Lvov, S. N., Kimel, R. A., Scheinke, E., Hooper, S., Yan, Y. & Brautigam, B. (2013). COIL Research Initiation Grant (Fall 2013). The Pennsylvania State University. Teaching Science Labs Online: Development and Validation of an Instructional Model Enabled by Google Glass. $ $26,053.
- Taylor, A., McQuiggan, C., & Illar, T. (2013). Web Learning @ Penn State: The Official Web Presence of the Penn State Online Initiative.
- Novakovich, J. & Long, E. C. (2013). Digital performance learning: Utilizing a course weblog for mediating communication. Journal of Educational Technology and Society, 16(4), 231–241.
- Taylor, A. H., Dillon, J. M., and Rocco, S. A. (2013). Report on the 2011 Penn State World Campus Technology Use Survey. White paper published for Penn State Online stakeholders.
- Taylor, A. & Camplese, C. (2011). Penn State course development models for online education. Informational report to the University Faculty Senate, The Pennsylvania State University, April 28, 2011.
- Taylor, A. (2010). Online staffing: Using best practices to bust the myths. The Distance Education Report, 15, 1, 1-7.
- Taylor, A., & Sims, B. (2010). Responses to the survey of lead faculty and/or department heads regarding the staffing of online courses. Informational report to the University Faculty Senate, The Pennsylvania State University, April 27, 2010.
- DiBiase, D. & Kidwai, K. (2010). Wasted on the young? Comparing the performance and attitudes of younger and older US adults in an online class on geographic information", Journal of Geography in Higher Education, 34: 3, 299 — 326.
- Taylor, A. (2009). Peer review guide for online teaching at Penn State.
- Rocco, S. A. (2009, August 5-7). Penn State Online: Coordinating e-Learning at the institutional level. Proceedings of the 25th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching and Learning (Madison, WI).
- Udas, K., Mundie, J., Merkel, C., and Rocco, S. (2008). Impact of Open Educational Resources and Open Source Software on Education: Catalyzing Production, Use, and Reuse of OER at Penn State World Campus. Proceedings of OpenEd 2008. (Logan, UT). Retrieved January 20, 2008, fromhttp://cosl.usu.edu/events/opened2008/full_papers/Impact_OER_Udas_Mundie_Merkel_Rocco.doc
- Rocco, S. A. (2007, Spring). Assessment and evaluation in the online environment. New Directions in Adult and Continuing Education, 119, 75-86.
- DiBiase, D., Spielvogel, E., Gutowski, M., Wherley, M., & Kidwai, K. (2006). How Much Time Do Students Really Devote to Face-to-Face and Hybrid General Education Courses?
Research Projects and Proposals
Baxter, E. (PI), & Palmer, T. (2017-present). RESEARCH PROJECT. Investigating the efficacy of video-based instruction.
Millet, A. (PI), Baxter, E., & Sutterlin, J. (2017-present). RESEARCH PROJECT. Constructivist online learning design study: Impacts on the development of critical thinking, problem-solving skills and GIS competencies.
Bacastow, T. & Long, E. (2015-present). RESEARCH PROJECT. Accelerating the learning of the geospatial intelligence analyst. Cooperative Research and Development Agreement HM1583-CR-FY16-001, National Geospatial Intelligence Agency.
Millet, A. (PI), Gowan, E., Yan, S., et. al. (2017). RESEARCH PROJECT. The impact of library badges on critical thinking in online education.
Baxter, E. (PI), & Palmer, T. (2016). RESEARCH PROJECT. MATSE 259 student canvas preferences.
Smithwick, E., Baxter, E., Kim, K., Edel-Malizia, S., Rocco, S., & Blackstock, D. (2015). RESEARCH PROJECT. Interactive videos in online learning.
Bacastow, T. & Long, E. (2011-15). RESEARCH PROJECT. Improving the teaching of geospatial analysis. Cooperative Research and Development Agreement HM1583-CR-FY10-007, National Geospatial Intelligence Agency.
Klippel, A., Duarte, J.P., Femina, P., Brown, N., Oprean, D., Millet, A., Bagher, M., and Oliver-Wallgrun, J. (2016, Spring). Immersive virtual reality (iVR): The printing press of the 21st century and how learning about place and space will never be the same. COIL Research Initiation Grant Program. Awarded.