Lesson 3 is one week in length. See the Canvas Calendar for specific due dates. To finish this lesson, you must complete the activities listed below:
- If you haven't already done so, please download and install Postgres, PostGIS, and QGIS (an open-source desktop GIS package we'll use to view our PostGIS data):
Download and install Postgres 15.x, accepting all of the default settings - Go with the 64-bit version unless your computer will not support it.
When running the installation, you will need to have access to the Internet.
- After Postgres is installed, you'll be asked if you want to launch the Stack Builder, a separate package that allows for the installation of add-ons to Postgres. Check the box for Stack Builder may be used... and in the next window, choose PostgreSQL 15.x on Port 5432 as the installation you are installing software for.
- Under the category of Spatial Extensions, choose the PostGIS 3.4 Bundle... Installing this add-on will enable you to execute the spatial queries covered in Lessons 3-4.
- Make your way through the installation, accepting the defaults. When the Choose Components dialog appears, check the Create spatial database box.
- For the Database Connection, leave the User Name set to postgres and Port set to 5432. Set the Password to postgres, same as the User Name, making it easy to remember.
- For the Database Name, leave it set to the default of postgis_34_sample.
- Installing PostGIS if Postgres is already installed - A separate installer file is available for the version that accompanies the 64-bit version of Postgres. If for some reason you do not use the Stack Builder noted above, you can use this installer. Locating the installer at the postgis.net site is a bit tricky, so here is a direct link.
- Install QGIS - click the QDownload QGIS 3.32 link under the Windows heading, and run the downloaded setup file to install QGIS.
- In addition to these software downloads, please also download and unzip the data needed for Lesson 3.
- Work through Lesson 3.
- Complete Project 3, and upload its deliverables to the Project 3 Dropbox.
- Complete the Lesson 3 Quiz.