Ethical Dimensions of Renewable Energy and Sustainability Systems
Quick Facts about BIOET 533
- Instructor and Author: Erich W. Schienke, PhD. Lecturer, John and Willie Leone Family Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering, and Sustainability Management and Policy Option Leader in the Renewable Energy and Sustainability Systems (Online Masters and Graduate Certificates Program); and Ethics Co-Leader for the Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute, The Pennsylvania State University.
- Course Structure: Each week, you will have lesson pages to read and videos to watch on the course webpage, (links will be available on Canvas in the weekly folders), journal articles from the e-reserves, and three activities. The three types of activities are quizzes, discussions, and written assignments. Some combination of these will be required each week. These activities each week will give you the opportunity to demonstrate your learning of the material.
- In summary, your coursework will include:
- reviewing the online lectures and videos for each lesson;
- reading the assigned articles found on Canvas;
- completing the weekly assignments (discussion, activity, and quiz) by the due dates listed on the course calendar;
- completing the final project by the due date listed on the course calendar.
Be sure to check out the list of assignments in the course calendar (click on the "Calendar" tab in Canvas). It clearly lays out all the lessons and their various assignments, and it indicates when each assignment is due. A grading rubric, and further descriptions of the assignments can be found in the Syllabus (click on the "Syllabus" tab in Canvas).
Overview: This course presents an examination of ethical issues relevant to systems-based research procedures, professional conduct, social and environmental impacts, and embedded values in research and practice. The course is comprised of 8 lessons. Lessons are divided into case-based modules and a final project. Lessons 1 and 2 provide a conceptual base for engaging systems ethics. Lessons 3 through 8 are case studies of ethical issues that can arise when engaging renewable energy and sustainability systems. Your final project will be to develop an ethics case-study based on your area of interests.