We have reached the point in the course where we begin to address some topical issues that are facing the energy business today and will continue to be major issues in the near future. Perhaps the largest issue facing the energy businesses today is that of climate change and carbon reduction. In this lesson, we will look at the greenhouse effect, why reducing emissions of carbon dioxide is such a large issue, what some of the controversies surrounding this issue are, and what are some of the things that can be done to reduce carbon emissions.
What will we learn?
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to:
- describe and explain the basics of the greenhouse effect;
- explain what type of market failures are present with respect to carbon emissions;
- describe some policy instruments that are available to reduce carbon emissions;
- describe and explain several of the contentious issues surrounding climate change;
- explain the strategies that can be adopted to reduce carbon emissions.
What is due for Lesson 10?
This lesson will take us one week to complete. Please refer to Canvas for specific time frames and due dates. There are a number of required activities in this lesson. The chart below provides an overview of those activities that must be submitted for this lesson. For assignment details, refer to the lesson page noted.
|Requirements||Submitting Your Work|
|Reading: Indexed entry on "Global Warming" in the Gwartney et al. (no reading in Greenlaw et al.), and all required material linked to in the text of the lesson.||Not submitted|
|Lesson Quiz and Homework||Submitted in Canvas|