Welcome to Lesson 4!
Lesson 4 deals particularly with Energy and the Environment. As mentioned before in the unit overview, this lesson is divided into 3 parts. Part A is basically looking at the products that are formed when we burn fossil fuels and the environmental effects of these fossil fuels products. In part B we are going to look at global effects of using fossil fuels and how they are changing the environment. We will also look, some other climate issues like acid rain, ozone layer destruction up above in the stratosphere. Go through part A, part B, and part C; together there will be one quiz for this lesson.
Lesson 4 Objectives
Upon completion of this lesson, you will be able to:
- demonstrate a familiarity with fossil fuel composition;
- describe basic combustion chemistry;
- explain the quantitative implications of fossil fuel combustion;
- state the health and environmental effects of products of combustion; and
- describe the effects of primary and secondary pollutants.
See the Calendar tab in Canvas for due dates/times.
If you have any questions, please post them to the General Course Questions forum in located in the Discussions tab in Canvas. I will check that discussion forum daily to respond. While you are visiting the discussion board, feel free to post your own responses to questions posted by others - this way, you might help a classmate!