In this lesson, we will discuss another global structure that frames geopolitical agency: the environment. This geopolitical topic has been highlighted by academics and social movements concerned about environmental degradation and the sustainability of the planet. This lesson will investigate the ways the environment has become “securitized” or seen as an object toward which traditional geopolitical practices must be targeted in order to provide security.
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to:
- discuss the topic of environmental geopolitics;
- identify different ways to understand environment-society relations;
- apply the term Anthropocene to explain the current situation;
- discuss the securitization of the environment in the Anthropocene age;
- explain how the environment has become a part of the geopolitical code of states;
- give examples of how environmental threats are represented;
- discuss the geography of resource conflicts; and
- interpret the geopolitics of oil.
Required Readings and Assignments
If you have any general course questions, please post them to our Course Questions Discussion located in the General Information Module in Canvas. I will check that discussion forum regularly to respond as appropriate. While you are there, feel free to post your own responses and comments if you are able to help out a classmate.