Minimum technical requirements for the MGIS program apply to this course. They can be found on the Online Geospatial Education Technical Requirements web page.
The following bullets apply to all courses in the remote sensing curriculum:
- You must have a reliable, robust high-speed Internet connection on a daily basis. The course may require you to watch streaming video as well as downloading files that may be as large as 1 GB.
- It is not possible to email or send course materials on DVD. You cannot download entire lessons once a week to work offline.
- General program technical specs call for at least 4 GB of RAM. Requirements for the individual remote sensing courses vary based on software used, but if you are selecting a computer to use for the Remote Sensing and Earth Observation Certificate Program, 8 GB or higher is highly recommended.
- A 64-bit version of Windows 7, 8, or 10 is required.
- Mac users should be able to run all of the course software using a virtual Windows OS, such as Boot Camp or Parallels. Instructors are not able to offer support for Apple OS implementation of course software.
- Mobile computing platforms (smartphones and tablets) can be used for reading online material and for some course communications, but are insufficient for lab work. Laptop computers that meet minimum technical requirements can be used for this course.
- SSD hard drives will yield the best performance with remote sensing software, but aren't required.
- Storing lab and project data on an internally installed hard drive will yield the best performance with remote sensing software. USB flash drives are useful for archiving lab work, but should not be used for active projects.
- An open GL-compatible video card is required.
- Headsets (as described in the minimum technical requirements) are required.
- A second monitor is not required, but if you have one available, you will find it very helpful.
- You will need an administrator-level password for for your computer to install the software required for this course.
If you have any questions now or at any point during this week, please feel free to post them to the Software Installation and Technical Questions Discussion Forum in Canvas.