The course website is presented in an open source content management system called Drupal (for information, visit the Drupal website). One advantage to presenting the text in Drupal is that, in some cases, we can enable registered students to comment and ask questions directly on course pages. Another advantage is that Drupal allows us to publish the course openly for the benefit of anyone who has access to the Internet, regardless of their ability to pay tuition or their desire to earn academic credit.
Menu Items on the Drupal course website include:
HOME: Contains the course overview and links to individual lessons.
SYLLABUS: Link to the official syllabus for the course.
ORIENTATION: This is the content for Lesson 0 which comprises the first week of the course. This material is your guide to the structure of your online course and our online learning environment.
LESSONS: Link to the lesson chapters of the online text for the course. When you click on a Lesson link, links to the pages that make up the lesson are revealed. Each lesson in the online text includes:
- an Overview page,
- a page listing Reading Assignments for the lesson,
- multiple online content pages,
- an Activities page listing the lab and discussion assignments for the lesson,
- a Summary and Deliverables page with a completion checklist for the lesson.
CANVAS: Link to the learning management system for registered students.
- Instructor Information (contact and other information about your instructor)
- Program Home Page (links out to the Penn State Online Geospatial Education website for program information)
- Adobe Connect (links out to the Adobe Connect classroom for this course)
- VoiceThread (links out to the PSU VoiceThread application)
- Esri Virtual Campus (links out to the Esri website)
- Library Resources (links out to Penn State library resources specific to Geography)
- Getting Help (information on how to get help with various aspects of the course)
LOGIN: Anyone with a Web browser and Internet access can view the open courseware portion of our courses. Additional course material is be restricted to registered students who have a valid Penn State access account. If you are a registered student, click on the "login" link and then enter your Penn State Access ID and password.
Note the "print" button located in the upper-right corner of each page on the course website. The printer-friendly versions compile a single page or an entire lesson into a single HTML document.
If you have any questions now or at any point during this week, please feel free to post them to the General Questions and Comments Discussion Forum in Canvas.