Part 2 - Renewable Energy Pathways and Obligations
In Part 1, you read about the linkages between energy, renewables, and climate change. Now, read the International Energy Agency's Methodology for the "450 Scenario" and Chapter 8 of 2012 World Energy Outlook.
This report by the IEA works through various energy policy scenarios based on requirements to meet certain targets.
Pay attention to:
- The importance of the 450 in the 450 scenario
- What is meant by "carbon in energy reserves and infrastructure"
- Examples of emissions lock-in
- Energy efficiency versus renewable energy
Potential ethical questions for consideration
- Is there an obligation to meet the 450 scenario? If so, what is that obligation?
- Is there an obligation to invest in renewable energy innovation and infrastructure? By whom and when?
- What do the scenarios demonstrate as the more effective investment in the near future? Renewable energy or energy efficiency?
- Why should decision-makers listen to these research findings?