Lesson 7: Midstream Infrastructure - Pipelines and Compressor Stations
Surging natural gas production throughout the United States, as a result of unconventional well development, has ushered in a wave of pipeline development projects designed to increase delivery capacity from areas of production to market. As a result, many communities throughout the country are experiencing a significant level of natural gas pipeline development. In this lesson, you will learn about the role pipelines play in transporting natural gas to market along with the various considerations related to pipeline construction and operation, including:
- Pipeline Basics
- Pipeline Construction and Related Pipeline Infrastructure
- Rights-of-way and Easement Agreements
- Pipeline Safety
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to:
- Appreciate the societal benefits and costs associated with pipeline development.
- Recognize the various steps involved in pipeline construction.
- Understand the concept of pipeline easements and basic terminology associated with easement agreements.
- Discuss issues related to pipeline safety and the leading causes of pipeline failures.