Overview of Lesson 6
With this lesson, we continue our survey of energy industries based on energy sources. In this lesson, we will review the coal industry--from mining and extraction to emissions from coal-fired power plants.
What will we learn?
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to...
- describe standard forms of coal and their properties;
- explain coal's role in the carbon cycle, including photosynthesis, coalification, and combustion;
- use concepts and terminology related to surface and underground mining;
- recognize various types of coal-fired power plant technologies;
- describe coal's role in greenhouse gas emissions, including carbon dioxide and methane;
- research and report on global coal reserves and consumption;
- explain the technology and status of clean coal technologies;
- explain the technology and status of carbon capture and sequestration (CCS);
- recognize and analyze externalities related to the coal industry.
What is due for Lesson 6?
The table below provides an overview of the requirements for Lesson 6. For details, please see individual assignments.
Please refer to the Calendar in Canvas for specific time frames and due dates.
|REQUIREMENT||SUBMITTING YOUR WORK|
|Read Lesson 6 content and any additional assigned material||Not submitted.|
|Weekly Activity 6||Yes—Complete Activity located in the Modules Tab in Canvas.|
|Case Study--work with others on your Team to prepare Case Study, following course guidelines||Check Canvas calendar for all Case Study Due Dates.|