In this lesson, we will try to further understand the key elements of geopolitics discussed in the previous lessons (geopolitical practices and representations of those practices) by exploring the concepts of “the nation,” “nation-state” and “the state.” We will subsequently discuss the geopolitics of nationalism by investigating national identity construction and also the process of “ethnic cleansing.” Further, we will analyze how masculinity/femininity are incorporated into concepts of nationalism and geopolitical code. Finally, we will deconstruct the binaries that underlie the geopolitics of national security.
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to:
- define the terms nation, state and nation-state;
- discuss nationalism and its different manifestations;
- discuss the way gender roles are implicated in nationalism;
- make connections between gender roles, nationalism, and geopolitical codes; and
- provide a classification of different nationalisms and their impact upon geopolitical codes.
Required Readings and Assignments
Please see your Canvas course space for a complete listing of this lesson's required readings, assignments, and due dates.
If you have any general course questions, please post them to our Course Questions Discussion located in the General Information Module in Canvas. I will check that discussion forum regularly to respond as appropriate. While you are there, feel free to post your own responses and comments if you are able to help out a classmate.