This week, we've taken a critical look at influential theories of sustainability and planetary boundaries in the context of overpopulation, consumption and resource scarcity.
Your Carbon Footprint:
Please go to the EPA Carbon Footprint Calculator to calculate your own Carbon Footprint.
You might also want to try the calculator available through The Nature Conservancy and see how the two are different.
Why do you think they are different?
Tasks for this week:
- Read the Course Content (Week 1) section on the course website.
- Reading: Pearce, F. (2018) Is the way we think about overpopulation racist? The Gaurdian Newspaper.
- Reading: Rockström, J., Steffen, W., Noone, K., Persson, Å., Chapin Iii, F. S., Lambin, E. F., . . . Foley, J. A. (2009). A safe operating space for humanity. Nature, 461, 472. doi:10.1038/461472a.
- Film: Stevens, Fisher (Director) and Leonardo DiCaprio et al. (2016). Before the Flood, [Motion Picture Written by Mark Monroe]. RatPac Documentary Films, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- Take the Week 1 Quiz by Saturday at 11:59 pm Eastern Time.
- Post your Week 1 Discussion and Activity assignment on Canvas by Saturday at 11:59 pm Eastern Time.
Feel free to start reading the chapters for Week 2 in order to get a head start for next week....