A non-profit humanitarian based organization called Nourishing Humanity (NouHu) has recently been awarded a grant. The dictates of the grant state that the funds must be allocated to serving the interests of refugees from around the world. In order to meet the requirements of the grant, NouHu realizes that in order to make recommendations on how best to meet the needs of refugees, a considerable amount of data collection, processing, and analysis will be required. It is also recognized that this project will involve a considerable amount of geospatial data. Various methods (geovisualization and geospatial analytics) will be required to show NouHu patterns, trends, and relationships in that geospatial data. Nourishing Humanity does not employ staff that are capable of performing these tasks. That’s where your business plays a role.
Scope of the Problem
For this week you will be engaged in two tasks.
First, develop a business that focuses on geospatial solutions to large data sets. This business plan will include the business name, logo, and staff. In addition, the plan will also include statements regarding expertise and previous completed projects. The specifics of developing this business are listed below.
Second, begin to draft a proposal that responds to Nourishing Humanity’s request. Note that a complete proposal will not be delivered until the end of the course. Over the next several weeks, you are tasked with developing and refining parts of the proposal. For now, this week will introduce you to the proposal idea from NouHu and get you started on thinking how your group will respond to the request. The challenge is based on the UNHCR refugee data set. Your group is one of several “clients” that are developing a proposal that presents a geographic visualization solution to the UNHCR’s refugee data set. As mentioned, NouHu recently was awarded a grant that is directed to the betterment of refugees, a topic of which is at its core mission. The challenge is to extract meaningful information from the UNHCR’s large data set on refugees and make recommendations to Nourishing Humanity on how best to allocate its grant monies.
Specifically, for this project, Nourishing Humanity is interested in understanding some of the following refugee characteristics:
- Who are the most disadvantaged groups?
- What are the anomalies in the refugees?
- Who are the people in most need of the basics
- What refugees have migrated the furthest and shortest?
- Some basic demographics include age profiles of the refugees (youngest, oldest), country of origin, GDP of origin/destination countries).
- Which countries offer the best/worst place for refugees to migrate (consider civil-strife, political, ethnic, and religious tensions)?
- Which countries have the greatest number of its own internal refugees?
- How would resource allocation (medicine, food, education, etc.) better refugees?
Create a Business
Your task in this section will be to create a business. This business includes (but is not limited to) the following topics:
- Name your business, including a logo, a geographic location, and present staffing.
- Discuss the kinds of expertise/talents/skills your company has.
- Describe two or three previous projects on which your organization has worked and for what purpose.
Once your group has completed this business write-up, please upload it to the Lesson 2 Business Assignment in Canvas.