Lesson 3 Introduction-Strategic Planning and the Project Charter
Lesson 3 Overview
Now that we've discussed what a project is and how it fits into the organizational system view, we can begin to define a project. A critical aspect is what the project will accomplish. In this lesson, we will discuss how to select projects carefully and define projects precisely. We will look to the scope of the project to meet these needs.
By the end of Lesson 3, you should be able to:
- understand how GIS projects and GIS use should address an organization's mission and business needs
- describe how strategic planning should influence projects undertaken by an organization
- define the scope of a project and its relationship to deliverables
- understand how to identify project benefits and prepare a convincing business case justification
- describe the importance, use, and design of a project charter
See the checklist page for readings, quiz, and assignment work in this Lesson.
If you have any questions or would like to brainstorm ideas, please contact the instructor by phone or email. Also, feel free to communicate with your fellow students via the Discussion Forum or email.