Summary and Deliverables
In Lesson 2, we discussed how and where to find geospatial data for environmental projects and common formats of GIS and geospatial data available on the Internet. We also used several online data services to create an interactive mapping application in ArcGIS Online for Organizations. There are both pros and cons of using online data services. In the next lesson, we will compare and contrast them with using raw geospatial data.
Lesson 2 Deliverables
Lesson 2 is worth a total of 100 points.
- (30 points) Lesson 2 Quiz
- (70 points) Lesson 2 Discussion Post The online maps and app you created in the Step-by-Step and Advanced Activities must be saved in Penn State's ArcGIS Online for Organizations Account to receive credit. To submit your assignment, post a note in the Lesson 2 [Deliverable] Discussion. Include your name and the elements below:
- Map Links:
- URL of your Interactive Web Application from the Step-by-Step Activity
- URL of your Web Map or Web Map Application from the Advanced Activity
- Reflection: (150-300 words) Consider the power of sharing your own maps and data on the Internet. Describe how you could have used this functionality for a previous project or could use it for a future project you'd like to work on. Describe at least one benefit and one drawback of publishing your maps online instead of creating a static map layout. Explain why you choose the particular dataset for your third map from the Advanced Activity.
- Map Links:
- Peer Review (optional): Explore other students' submission and add a short comment on their post.
- Mastery: Demonstrate that you can find and share data using tools and templates in ArcGIS Online.
- Effective Communication: Map design (colors, titles, legends, and captions) makes it easy for readers to use maps for a specific, intended purpose and understand a particular message.
- Reflection: Demonstrate ability to recognize tradeoffs between different approaches.
- Follow Instructions: Include all required map elements, end products saved in Penn State's ArcGIS Online for Organizations Account, post deliverables, submit on time, etc.
|Swipe Map App||Link to swipe map app is present and includes proper imagery and land cover maps. (20pts)||Link is present, but app is missing an element. (15pts)||Link is present, but app is missing several elements. (10pts)||Link is missing. (0pts)||20pts|
|Advanced Activity Map||Link to map is present and includes imagery, study area boundary, and one additional layer. Map is properly described. (20pts)||Link is present but is missing an element (map layers, descriptions.) (15pts)||Link is present but is missing several elements (map layers, descriptions or does not function properly. (10pts)||Link is missing. (0pts)||20pts|
|Reflection||Discussion is present and includes 150-300 words addressing other applications for this activity, benefits, and drawbacks of online maps, and why the 3rd data layer was chosen. (15pts)||Discussion is present but is missing a required topic. (15pts)||Discussion is present but is missing several required topics. (10pts)||Discussion is missing. (0pts)||20pts|
|Prose Quality||Is free or almost free of errors (complete sentences, student's own words, grammar, spelling, etc.). (10pts)||Has errors, but they don't represent a major distraction. (5pts)||Has errors that obscure meaning of content or add confusion. (0pts)||10pts|
Tell us about it!
If you have anything you'd like to comment on or add to the lesson materials, feel free to post your thoughts in the Lesson 2 General Discussion. For example, what did you have the most trouble with in this lesson? Was there anything useful here that you'd like to try in your own workplace?