Lesson 5 Introduction
In past lessons, we have explored project scope, deliverables, and assembling a project team. You have reviewed the RFP for the City of Metropolis Geodatabase Development Project and prepared a project charter as a foundation for launching project work. This lesson focuses on developing a detailed work plan and schedule. You will look more closely at project scope and deliverables and create a project plan in the form of a work breakdown structure (WBS) for the City of Metropolis project.
By the end of this lesson, you should be able to:
- Develop skills to describe how a project scope is addressed through an organized set of tasks.
- Describe the importance, use, and design approaches of a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS).
- Understand task relationships and factors that impact task and project timing.
- Describe the Gantt chart's use as a tool to help visualize planned project tasks or task schedule status.
- Acquire basic familiarity and skills with the use of project management software.
See the checklist page for readings, quiz, and assignment work in this Lesson.
If you have questions or would like to brainstorm this week's topics, contact the instructor by phone or email. Also, feel free to contact your follow students via the Discussion Forum or email.