My suggestion is to read through the press releases and summaries first because they are intended for a more general audience. Then read/skim the scientific papers, which have been written for experts. Note the different writing styles and differing amounts of technical jargon in the different papers! I have posted some discussion questions you might want to look at first help guide your thinking, so you are ready to discuss.
We will discuss these papers together via a discussion in Canvas. This discussion will take place over the second week of this lesson.
Reading + Discussion Assignment
- Read the following press releases and summaries, which are available in Canvas. You will see that there is a set of questions, below, to guide your thinking as you read.
- "Why we can’t get over the death of the dinosaurs" (2019). Nature, 568, 143.
- Burgess, S. (2019). Deciphering mass extinction triggers. Science, 363, 815-816.
- Preston, D. (2019). "The Day the Dinosaurs Died". The New Yorker.
- Read the following papers, which are available linked from Canvas:
- DePalma, R.A., J. Smit, D. A. Burnham, K. Kuiper, P. L. Manning, A. Oleinik, P. Larson, F. J. Maurrasse, J. Vellekoop, M. A. Richards, L. Gurche, and W. Alvarez (2019). A seismically induced onshore surge deposit at the KPg boundary, North Dakota. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 116, 8190-8199.
- Schoene, B., M. P. Eddy, K. M. Samperton, C. B. Keller, G. Keller, T. Adatte, S. F. R. Khadri. (2019). U-Pb constraints on pulsed eruption of the Deccan Traps across the end-Cretaceous mass extinction. Science 363, 862–866.
- Sprain, C. J., P. R. Renne, L. Vanderkluysen, K. Pande, S. Self, T. Mittal.(2019). The eruptive tempo of Deccan volcanism in relation to the Cretaceous-Paleogene boundary. Science 363, 866–870.
- As you read, keep in mind these questions:
- What is the evidence supporting an extraterrestrial impact at the K-T boundary? Is there evidence against it? What are the other hypotheses?
- How does argon-argon dating work? How does U-Pb dating work? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each method?
- How can you summarize the controversy? What do you think is the next step in resolving the debate between these groups?
- Enter the L3 K/T Boundary Reading Discussion in CANVAS. You will see the questions above already there. I've organized this discussion as separate threads, each dealing with one question at a time to see where that leads us. Please participate by answering my question, responding to a classmate, asking another relevant question or furthering the discussion in another meaningful way
Grading rubric: Please see the rubric for discussions.