Please read the following selection. It can be accessed via the Library Reserves link in the General Information Module in Canvas.
- Read pp. 1-7 (Synopsis). (2009). In Liquid transportation fuels from coal and biomass technological status, costs, and environmental impacts. Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press.
After reading the selection, go to the Discussion #8 Discussion Forum in the Lesson 8 folder under the Lessons tab in Canvas. The article you are reading is a few years old. For discussion this week, can you find a more current article online? Point out the discrepancies between the two articles and highlight how the information in the synopsis might be outdated. Attach the article to your discussion post.
After posting your response, please comment on at least one other person's response. Discussions will be reviewed by the instructor (me), and grades will reflect critical thinking in your input and responses.
Final Project Outline Assignment
Biomass Choice: Choose biomass to focus paper on.
This week, I am asking you to begin your biomass project. You will do a 1-2 page write-up, stating the information listed below. It can be an outline at this point, but needs to have enough information so I can see what your project will be about and to see that you have begun to work on it.
- Biomass Choice. Reminder - do not make choices that already exist in the marketplace. This includes sugar cane used to make ethanol in Brazil or corn used to make ethanol in the midwest of the USA.
- Literature review on the biomass (at this point, this should consist of a list of resources that you have consulted - CSE style, please!)
- Requirements for location
- Climate (i.e., tropical, subtropical, moderate,…)
- Land area required or other type of facility to grow
- Method of Production
- Product markets around location
- Economic Evidence
- Other factors (environmental, political, tax issues, etc.)
Some notes on format:
- Approximate length – 2 pages, double-spaced, 1” margins, 12 point font, name at the top
- Outline should include elements listed above
- Use footnotes to indicate which reading you are referring to (i.e., Luque et al., pg #)
- Use as filename your user ID_Outline (i.e., ceb7_Outline)
- Upload it to the Outline Dropbox in the Lesson 8 Module in Canvas.
This week, you will complete Exam #3. It can be accessed through the Lesson 8 Module in Canvas.