Before we begin our semester of study together, it is important that you review all of the material on all these pages and on our Course Syllabus. These resources will not only prepare you to be successful in this course, but they will also help you prepare for the Course Information quiz at the end of the orientation. You must get a score of at least 90% on that quiz to gain access to the assignment drop boxes for this course...and the answers are all contained in this orientation!
Have you looked at our syllabus?
This Course Orientation will complement and expand on the information provided on our syllabus. Be sure to review that document, too...carefully! A link to the syllabus is located in the Resources menu.
What will we learn about in the Course Orientation?
In the Course Orientation, we will:
- learn about the structure of GEOG 469;
- discover what assignments are required in this course;
- receive an overview of Canvas, Penn State's course management system;
- read about the technical requirements for GEOG 469;
- learn how to succeed in this course; and
- find out where to get course assistance if needed.
What is due for the Course Orientation?
You should complete the Course Orientation before the first week of class. Please refer to the Calendar in Canvas for specific time frames and due dates.
The following is an overview of those activities that must be submitted for Course Orientation. Detailed directions and submission instructions are located within this orientation.
(You may want to print this page to serve as a checklist as you go along.)
- Install ArcGIS on your computer.
- Personalize your Canvas space.
- Set up your Canvas Notifications.
- Register with the University Libraries.
- Log in to this website.
- Introduce yourself and meet the rest of the class!
- Take the Course Information Quiz and score at least 90%.
If you have any questions, please post them to our Questions? discussion forum (not e-mail) in Canvas. I will check that discussion forum daily to respond. While you are there, feel free to post your own responses if you, too, are able to help out a classmate.
On the following pages, you will find important information about the course structure, requirements, scheduling, and technical requirements and assistance – all of which you'll need to know in order to pass the course. Remember, you are also responsible for the information located on our Course Syllabus.