How do you start with some raw datasets on your computer and create a beautiful interactive web map that can be enjoyed by thousands of Internet users? This lesson will give an overview of how you can approach a web mapping project. The remaining lessons will get into the step-by-step details of how you make each part happen.
- Identify the pieces of hardware and software architecture used in web mapping and describe the role played by each.
- Recognize the roles of basemaps and thematic layers in a web map, and identify examples of each.
- Critique the layer construction and architecture of a web map.
- Log in to the GeoServer administrator page and preview layers.
- Read the Lesson 2 materials on this page.
- Complete the walkthrough.
- Complete the Lesson 2 assignment.
- Read the term project introduction and post your initial idea for the project in the Term Project Proposal drop box.