You can do the following to protect the environment:
- Turn off lights, computers, and other appliances when you're not using them.
- Use energy efficient appliances: lighting, air conditioners, heaters, refrigerators, washing machines, etc.
- Only use electric appliances when you need them.
- Keep your thermostat at 68°F in the winter and 72°F in the summer. You can turn it even lower in the winter and higher in the summer when you are away from home.
- Insulate your home as best you can.
- Carpool, use public transportation, or better yet, walk or bicycle whenever possible.
- Buy vehicles with low NOx emissions, and maintain all vehicles well.