In this activity, you will explore metadata further by reviewing actual metadata sets and answering a set of questions about them.
For this assignment, you will need to record your work in a word processing document. Your work must be submitted in Word (.doc) or PDF (.pdf) format so I can open it. In addition, documents must be double-spaced and typed in 12-point Times Roman font.
- Access the following metadata sets:
- Hydrology (watersheds, subwatersheds, river & streams)
- Digital Ortho Quads
- Watershed Drinking Water Data - Mecklenburg County, NC (Click the DATA Tab > in search box type: Storm Water Watersheds > Click: Metadata).
- For each dataset, answer the following questions in a word processing document. If you cannot find the answer within the metadata, state that as your response:
- What agency or organization created the data?
- When was the data created?
- What is the GIS format (raster or vector)?
- What is the resolution of the data?
- If raster, report cell size
- If vector, report scale
- What is the spatial reference of the data?
- Coordinate system (Geographic, UTM, State Plane, etc.)?
- Projection (Unprojected, Transverse Mercator, Albers Equal Area, etc.)?
- Datum (WGS84, NAD83, NAD27, etc.)?
- How was the original data created (scanned maps, satellite, survey, etc.)?
- What time period does the data cover?
- What data attributes are used?
- What is the unit of the attribute?
- Was all of the data needed to answer the questions readily available?
- How would you rate the data quality of the dataset on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 = poor data quality and 5 = excellent data quality?
- At the end of your word processing document, respond to the following question:
- What did you learn about metadata from doing this activity?
- Save your work as either a Microsoft Word or PDF file in the following format:
Lesson2_Metadata_AccessAccountID_LastName.doc (or .pdf).
Submitting your work
Submit your work to the Lesson 7 - Metadata drop box by the due date indicated on our course calendar.
This activity is graded out of 5 points
|Dataset Questions||Fully answered all 11 questions for all 4 datasets||Fully answered all 11 questions for 3 of the 4 datasets||Fully answered all 11 questions for 2 of the 4 datasets||Fully answered all 11 questions for 1 of the 4 datasets||Did not fully answer the 11 questions for any of the datasets|
|Answer to Item #3?||n/a||n/a||n/a||Provided written response to Item #3 questions||No written response to Item #3 is provided|