In this lesson, we begin exploring Esri's offering of SaaS cloud resources, ArcGIS Online. In review, SaaS represents the end of the cloud spectrum where more components of a system are handled by the service provider and the user is responsible for none of the hardware, software and data infrastructure. In most SaaS cases, all client interaction occurs via a Web browser, which ideally offers a user-friendly and rapid development experience.
In this lesson, you will use ArcGIS Online to assemble and share online maps that combine various web services. You'll also see how you can upload your own data to ArcGIS Online and have it run as a live web service similar to the services you published with ArcGIS Server.
At the successful completion of this lesson, you should be able to:
- understand the role of ArcGIS Online;
- create an application for sharing maps using ArcGIS Online; and
- upload data to ArcGIS Online and access it as a web service.
- Complete: L07: Assignment
- Participate: L07: Discussion