Things to consider...
While you read the material for this lesson in your e-book and on the course website, use the following questions to guide your learning. Also, remember to keep the learning objectives listed on the previous page in mind as you learn from this text.
- What is the main difference between the Bohr and the wave particle atomic models?
- How does the electronic configuration of an atom determine its materials classification?
- What are some of the materials properties that the location of the element on the Periodic Table predicts?
- How does bonding affect the materials properties of atoms and molecules?
- How does bonding type determine a material's probable materials characterization?
Pages 18 to 43 (Chapter 2. Atomic Structure and Interatomic Bonding) of "Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering: An Integrated Approach, 5th Edition", William D. Mallister and David G. Rethwisch.