About Lesson 9
We have seen now the projected potential future changes in climate. What practical impacts might they have? On human civilization? On ecosystems? Necessarily, the answers to these questions are complex and nuanced. They involve integrating a number of uncertain factors—the future greenhouse emissions pathways, the resulting changes in climate, and how human and natural systems might respond to those changes.
What will we learn in Lesson 9?
By the end of Lesson 9, you should be able to:
- Qualitatively assess the potential societal and environmental impacts of alternative future climate change scenarios.
What will be due for Lesson 9?
Please refer to the Syllabus for specific time frames and due dates.
The following is an overview of the required activities for Lesson 9. Detailed directions and submission instructions are located within this lesson.
- Watch the film "An Inconvenient Truth". Take note of any issues regarding the science and/or impacts of climate change that seem unclear or potentially in error, or are otherwise worthy of discussion.
- IPCC Fifth Assessment Report, Working Group 2
- Summary for Policy Makers, p. 1-8; Supplementary Material, p. 30-32;
- Dire Predictions, p. 118-149.
- Take Quiz #3.
If you have any questions, please post them to our Questions? discussion forum (not e-mail), located under the Home tab in Canvas. The instructor will check that discussion forum daily to respond. Also please feel free to post your own responses if you can help with any of the posted questions.